Born in Oceanside, California, Margaret studied fine arts at the University of Georgia and Augusta State University where she was a protege of Freeman Schoolcraft and studied under Jim Lyle, Eugenia Comer and Dave Jones. In addition she has studied with Ken Umbach at John Campbell Folkschool and locally with Jim Ginsheer and Thomas Needham.
In the last two years she has returned to her love of painting studying with Ken Umbach, Jim Ginsheer and Thomas Needham. Recently her Scituate Light won an award at the prestigious Aiken Center for the Arts juried Spring Show.
An award winning artist, her work is represented in collections throughout Europe and the United States. Galleries and museums across the United States have represented and shown her work.
Her creations have received numerous awards including multiple Best of Shows, have been exhibited locally, nationally and internationally and are part of art collections across the world most notably including the Quilts, Inc. collection and the Thomas Quilt Collection.
Her art has been published in numerous art magazines and has also been included in several books such as Creative Quilting: A Page from My Journal. Highlights are her art quilts were selected Favorites at International Quilt Show, Houston. Art critics have compared her art to Thomas Gainsborough paintings.
Margaret creates art of one kind or another almost every day at her studio on the Savannah River and teaches at various venues across the Southeast.
In her spare time when she is not creating fiber art, painting or making mixed media art, she has been known to madly piece bedquilts cleaning up piles of ribbons ranging from Best of Show, Best Machine Quilting and Best Use of Color and more than three dozen blue ribbons at numerous quilt shows.
- http://community.webshots.com/user/mchunt2003twitter: maggieinsc
- twitter: Maggieinsc
- facebook: Margaret McCarthy Hunt
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards & Shows
- Tiger, Tiger purchased for the Thomas Collection
- Neighbor Ladies First Place, Ashville Quilt Show 2010, Art Quilts category.
- Neighbor Ladies and Innova juried into Cacophony of Fiber, February – March 2010, Peabody Auditorium, Daytona, Fl.
- Winter Woods, Quilting Arts TV, PBS, Fall 2010
- Tubac Center for the Arts, Neighbor Ladies November 2009-January 2010
- Show at the Inner Bean, Augusta, Georgia
- Show at the Aurum Gallery, Athens, Georgia, July- August, 2009
- Lady Nolly, Best of Show, Pieceful Hearts Quilt Show, October 2009, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Art Quilts and 1st Applique Mixed Bed Quilts and 1st Pieced Bed Quilts
- Center for the Allied Arts, Milledgeville, Georgia-Show of the Two Margarets
- Locally exhibiting at various Art Guild of Columbia County exhibits including the Columbia County Government Offices
- Tiger, Tiger at Quilt Visions Gallery San Diego, California
- My Forest Lady fiberart chosen for the Cloth, Paper, Scissors ad for International Quilt Festival seen internationally
- On SCETV Roadshow representing artists in McCormick County, South Carolina
- Exhibited in Aiken Center for the Arts and Clemson Arts Center in conjunction with Jeff Callaham
- Several quilts touring internationally with A Page from my Journal culminating exhibit sponsored by International Quilt Festival and Quilt Art Magazine
- Lady Nolly juried into Considering Quilts, Harris Center for the Arts, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, April-May and picked as best Art Work, 2006
- Tiger Tiger tours US and Europe 2006
- Coral Reef juried into the 31st Annual Art Exhibit, Anderson Center for the Arts, April and May 2008
- Art Exhibit – Columbia County Library, July 2006
- Lady Nolly juried into “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans” exhibit, International Quilt Festival, November 2005
- Tiger, Tiger juried into the touring show Tenth Anniversary of Quilting Arts Retrospective Show – Will tour US and Europe 2005-2006
- Coral Reef Juried into New England Quilt Museum Show: “Batiks: Piece de Resistance” and published as featured quilt on the cover of the show cd
- Fisher King, King of Spades, Part of the Artful Deck Touring exhibit and published in the Artful Deck of Cards
- Journal quilts, 2003 – Chosen as Staff Favorite for the International Quilt Festival “Favorites” Exhibit, International Quilt Exhibit, Houston, Tx
- Coral Reef juried into the International Quilt Festival, Houston, November 2004
- Journals chosen Favorites International Quilt Festival November 2004
- Fisher King, King of Spades, Part of the Artful Deck Touring exhibit, Nashville AQS Show
- Walk on a Forest Floor, Best of Show, two 1st Places, 2nd place , Cobblestone Quilt Show, Charleston, SC
- JRs having fun – Most Innovative Award – North Carolina Quilt Symposium
- Without Malice America from the Heart traveling exhibit across the United States
- A Page from my Journal, chosen favorite journal quilts at Houston International Quilt Festival, November 2002
- Anderson Museum Juried Fiberarts show, October, My O’Keefe, Without Malice, River Sunrise.
- 1st place Wearables Gorgeous Jacket, 2nd place Wearables Chenille Flag Jacket, 1st place Miniatures Foggy Morning,2nd place Miniatures Foggy Morning II, 2nd place Pieced Wall Quilts Hollyhocks, Aiken Museum Quilt Show, November 2002
- Tiger, Tiger, Judges Choice, 2nd place Wall, Without Malice, HM Miniature, North Carolina Quilt Symposium, 2002
- 1st Place, Miniature Quilts, Without Malice, Quilters of South Carolina State Show, March 2002
- Without Malice, published in America From the Heart, C&T Publishing, 2002.
- Aiken County Museum Quilt Show Best Machine Quilting Walk on a Forest Floor, 1st place Wearables Daffodil, 2nd place Wearables Leaf Jacket, 1st and 2nd place Pieced Wall Quilts Magnolia
- Without Malice, America from the Heart, Houston International Quilt Show, November 2001
- My O’Keefe, 3rd place, Cobb Quilt Show, Marietta, GA
- Aiken County Museum Quilt Show Best Machine Quilting Fall Leaves, 1st, 2ndplace Wearables Fall Leaves and Iris Vests
- My O’Keefe O’Keefe Exhibit, Thirteen Moons Gallery, New Mexico.
- Tiger, Tiger exhibited Paducah AQS and Houston International Quilt Festival
- Coral Reef, 2nd place vests, Williamsburg MidAtlantic Quilt Festival.
- Red Jewel box, Best Use of Color, White on White, 2nd place First Quilt, Asheville Quilt Show, Asheville, NC
- Tiger, Tiger, 1st place, Hendersonville Fall Quilt Show, Hendersonville, NC
- Margaret M. Hunt SAQA Journal Winter, 2010 20.1 Page 38
- Curvaceous Piecing by Dianne Hire, AQS, 2010 to be published Fall 2010.
- Verge, September 2009.
- Creative Quilting, 2006. Title Page, Foreword Pp.,22, 23, 110, 126, 175.
- Quirky Quilting: 20 Easy and Fun Projects by Tomme J. Fent “Wacky Tacky Bags” by Margaret Hunt, 2005.
- Quiltmaker Magazine, December 2007 – Triangle Box Exhibit
- Daytona Beach News Journal, Review of Lady Nolly from the Center for the Arts, 2006.
- 2002 Journals bought by Quilts, Inc. to be included in the Houston International Quilt Show Collection
- River Bend Sunrise, lead quilt in March/April Quilting Arts Magazine “A Page From My Journal” article and on the Table of Contents page
- Published in the local newspaper, the Augusta Chronicle, numerous times.
- Forest Lady, Cloth, Paper, Scissors Magazine, Fall 2006, International Quilt Festival ad.
- Lady Nolly picked favorite fiberart, Considering Quilts Exhibit, a juried show of internationally fiberartists
- River Bend Sunrise, 2002 in Quilting Arts Magazine, “A Page from My Journal,” February, 2003.
- Without Malice, published in America From the Heart, C&T Publishing, 2002.
- Studio Art Quilters Representative for South Carolina and Georgia,www.saqa.com
- Member of Highcountry Crafts, NC, Fish or Cut Bait Gallery, Edisto Beach, SC, PPQ Gallery, Charleston, SC
- Numerous ribbons and awards nationally and international, including Best of Show, Best Machine Quilting, Judges Choice and Best Use of Color
- Represented in collections through out the United States, Canada and Europe including International Quilt Festival Corporate collection and the Thomas Collection.
- 2003-present – Contract fiber arts teaching including numerous demos, lectures and classes both locally and across Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina
- 1995 – Present Teaching fiber art classes for Bernina USA – Branums and Quilt Shop on the Corner, Augusta, GA and People Places and Quilts, Summerville and Charleston, SC
- 2004 – Vice President of Quilters of South Carolina2005 – Present – Pieceful Hearts Quilt Guild – Teacher Committee Chairperson
- University of Georgia and Augusta College – M.Ed. Reading Specialist, B.A. in Art, Minor in Education, Deans List 6 quarters
- University of South Carolina – Master of Library and Information Science in Library Science